Fehr & Granger, Architects: Austin Modernists
On view at the Austin Center for Architecture, August 15-November 16, 2017
Robert Mueller Airport, 1961, AR-2009-014-136, Photo by Dewey Mears
The Austin History Center is pleased to present a selection of work by one of the most renowned and accomplished architectural firms working in post-World War II Austin. Arthur Fehr (1904-1969) earned his architecture degree in 1925 from the University of Texas and went on to graduate study at Columbia University, Beaux Arts Institute of Design and New York University. Charles Granger (1913-1966) was an architectural student at the University of Texas when he was hired as a summer intern by Arthur Fehr. After graduation in 1936, he worked for the influential architect, Richard Neutra in Los Angeles, then earned a master’s degree from Cranbrook Academy in Michigan, where he worked as a designer for the famed Eliel Saarinen. After Fehr’s extensive travel and study in Europe, he and Mr. Granger opened their Austin partnership in 1946. Working in a Modernist style, the next two decades were highly productive for the esteemed firm. Winning numerous awards, they created projects that include residential, commercial, educational and ecclesiastical designs throughout central Texas. Mr. Fehr was made a fellow of the American Institute of Architects in 1957. Charles Granger was killed in an automobile accident in 1966 shortly after becoming a fellow to the American Institute of Architects. Arthur Fehr continued to practice under the firm name Fehr and Granger until his death in 1969.
Click on the thumbnails below to see some images, or view our companion web exhibit.