This year, YomiCon will be offering a spin on our classic Canned Food Drive: the CANime contest!
What it is:
- Decorate a can of food as your favorite anime/manga/video game/comicbook character
- Use colored paper, glue, felt, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, yarn -- what ever you can get your hands on! -- to make your can look like your chosen character -- be CREATIVE and use your materials in interesting ways to get more points!
- HINT: Chibi versions of characters lend themselves REALLY well to the CANime format!
How to enter:
- Pick your character & decorate a can -- be creative, use unique materials, and try to make it look as much like your character as possible! You can even put several cans together to make a BIG character. Submissions must be no taller than 3 cans high though!
- You can decorate your can at home and then bring it to YomiCon, or you can sit at our decorating station and decorate your can on site.
- Write the name of the character you've created on the top of the can
- Write your name and age on the bottom of the can
- Drop off your submission (along with any other non-perishable food in cans you want to donate) at our Food Drive table @ YomiCon -- this will be right by the door!
Cans will be judged on three factors:
- Originality -- how creative is your CANime?
- Recognizability -- how much does your CANime resemble the original?
- Uniqueness -- how unusual is your CANime?
Winners will be announced at 6pm, and two winners will be chosen: a first place from the Young Adult category (ages 11-20) and a first place in the Kids category (0-10)
As you can see, we just printed out a domo on some brown paper, and taped that around the can, and then taped on some arms. Easy peasy!
But...how well would Domo Can fare with the judges? Let's see!
Originality -- 2 out of 10:
- Domo Can may be a cute play on words (domo-chan...get it?), but there's not a lot of creativity that went into this can...it was just an image we printed from the internet and pasted on the can. So...not much original work there.
Recognizability -- 10 out of 10:
- this is a perfect score... I don't think there's anyone who could deny that our Domo looks pretty close to the original!
Uniqueness -- 3 out of 10:
- Domo is a much beloved figure, and as such, is SUPER popular... if this were a real entry, we bet a bunch of other people would have brought a domo-can similar to ours. Obscurity works in your favor in the Uniqueness category. We could have scored more points for uniqueness if we had used different materials -- like if we'd crocheted a domo sleeve to go around the can...that would take some talent, and would likely have been much more unique...thus earning more points.
- TOTAL SCORE: 15 out of 30....not great...but you can learn from our mistakes!
See how it works?
Thanks for your help supporting this food drive! All donations will be given to the Capitol Area Food Bank.
So... we promise we won't tell anyone....