Appraisals and Appraisers
Appraisals and Appraisers
An appraisal is an independent estimation of the value of an object given by a professional appraiser. Below are some resources to guide you in understanding the appraisal process and finding an appraiser.
Collector’s Periodicals and Books
Perform a subject search in FindIt for:
Search FindIt by title to find the location for these items, or just click on the link:
- Antiques and Collecting / Antiques and Collecting Hobbies
- The Magazine Antiques
- Kovel’s Antiques and Collectibles Price Guide
Warman’s Antiques and Collectibles
- Artprice - Online reference tool for art professionals, museums & artists who need to accurately appraiseworks of art including painting, sculpture, drawing, prints & photography
- Kovel's - Large, searchable database of prices for antiques and collectibles
- Internal Revenue Service - Find information about what the IRS requires by typing the word “appraisal” in the search box
- Ebay - Search for items similar to what you have for price comparisons
These non-profit associations provide names of appraisers for the public.
- International Society of Appraisers
- Appraisers Association of America
American Society of Appraisers
Museums and Libraries
Museums may be able to provide you with contextual (e.g., historical or cultural) information about your object, but due to legal and ethical reasons, museum cannot provide appraisals or recommend an appraiser. Some museums have prepared information guides to assist the public with the appraisal process and finding an appraiser.
- Can the Smithsonian Provide Appraisals of Objects? - Basic information about how to find an appraiser and other means of determining the value of an object from the Smithsonian Institute
- Researching Your Art: How Much Is Your Object Worth? - Pricing guides, professional appraiser associations, and auction houses from the Smithsonian Institute
- Choosing an Appraiser - Information to assist people unfamiliar with the appraisal process
UT's Fine Arts Library has a guide listing their resources.
Search the yellow pages of the telephone directory under these headings:
- Antiques – Dealers
Below is a list of a few central Texas appraisers and some of their specialties. Contact them for more information on their qualifications, services, and prices. Names are arranged by specialty. Appraisers listed under the General category have knowledge in several areas. Inclusion on this list does not imply endorsement or recommendation by the Austin Public Library.
- Austin Galleries - art; antiques
- Austin Jewelry Appraisers - jewelry; gems
- Attal Appraisal Services - general; antiques; collectibles
- The China Coast - Asian art and antiques
- Istanbul to Samarkand / Accolade Appraisal and Consulting - textiles
- June Hayes and Associates - general; antiques and collectibles; textiles; Asian porcelain and ivory; Latin American folk art
- Michael Laird Rare Books -rare books; manuscripts
- Payne Associates - books; photographs; archival materials