Banks and Credit
- Bankrate.com has local rates for mortgages, cds, and checking accounts.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) - The FDIC insures people's bank accounts. They also provide consumer information that may help you protect yourself.
- Is My Credit Union Federally Insured?
- MyCreditUnion.gov compares rates of credit unions to banks.
- Federal Reserve Board: Choosing a Credit Card - This Web site contains concise explanations about credit cards and terms related to credit cards, such as APR, finance charge and variable-rate
- Credit Karma - Access free credit reports any time as well as monthly tracking and tools and articles to help you improve your credit rating. You can also use
- Annual Credit Report which allows you to a free credit report, once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
- FICO - FICO scores, a measure of credit risk, are the most used credit scores in the world.
- Identify Theft Resource Center provides victim and consumer support as well as public education.
- NerdWallet compares thousands of credit cards.
- Better Business Bureau
- Bucks - NYT Blog about Consumer Tactics
- Deceptive Trade Practice Act for real estate
- Restaurant Inspection Scores
- Ripoff Report
- Texas Attorney General - File a Complaint
- Texas Consumer Protection Satutes
Google the company or product name for links to complaints.
- Quicken Online - Free online version of the Quicken software. Download financial information, use budgeting and money management tools, and participate in the online community.
- SmartyPig - Registered users create savings goals. Goals are met through required monthly contributions from a checking or savings account.
- Wesabe - Consolidate all bank accounts, investments, and credit cards. Tag transactions to create categories, view summary information, and receive personalized tips for saving. Registration is required to participate in the Wesabe Groups discussions, but uploading bank information is optional.
Ginnie Mae - Use a calculator to see whether buying or renting makes more sense.
MakingHome Affordable - Find out if you are eligible for help with your mortgage.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (vehicle safety)
- FDA Drug Safety
- FDA Food Safety
- Ecology Action
- Energy Efficiency Information Guide
- Saving Starts at Home
- What to I Do With..(recycling locations from the City of Austin)
- Airfare Watchdog
- Consumer Research
- Edible Austin
- Farmers Market Search
- Local Harvest
- Consumer Reports - Full-text available from MasterFile database.
- Alatest - Millions of product reviews from over 1000 websites.
- ePinions - Product reviews and prices comparison
- Gasbuddy - Find the cheapest gas in the Austin area.
Free Fun in Austin - Current coupons for Austin businesses
Information Guide Subject:
By Crystal Paine.
Distills financial advice and practices introduced in the author's "Money Saving Mom" blog to counsel readers on how to establish financial goals, organize in accordance with financial needs, and reduce grocery and household expenses.