Knowing the market for a service or product is an essential part of building and maintaining a successful business. This guide includes the starting points for decision makers to collect and track marketing information.
Browse the Dewey Decimal Number 658.8 on the third floor of Faulk Central Library or at any branch.
- Knowthis: Marketing Virtual Library
- Market Research World
- Marketing Degree
SBA Market and Price
- American Generation Series (4 vols)
- American Generations: Who They Are and How They Live
- Editor and Publisher Market Guide
- MSA Profile
- Rand McNally Commercial Atlas and Marketing Guide
- The Sourcebook of Zip Code Demographics
- U.S. Census Bureau The United States Census Bureau provides electronic access to a vast collection of statistics about people, places, and industries in the United States. View and print tables or download spreadsheets into Excel. The A to Z Subject Index is a great way to see the variety of information available through the Census Bureau. For information specifically on the 2010 census, visit the 2010 Census page.
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Austin Area Traffic Counts
- County Business Patterns
- Demographics from the City of Austin
- Texas State Data Center
- Texas Vital Statistics
- PCensus-USA allows printing of customized reports for Austin and for Travis County data and provides forecast projections. 1987-present. This is available at the Austin History Center only.
- Population Reference Bureau
- U.S.Census Bureau's International Database
- U.S.Census Bureau's List of Statistical Agencies by Country
United Nations Demographic and Social Statistics
- American Marketplace
- Best Customers: Demographics of Consumer Demand
- Academic Search Premiere
- Business Source Complete
- Factiva (Dow Jones)
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCO)
- Consumer Expenditures
- Health Behavior
- AtoZdatabases - Perform customized searches by selecting a type of business and then filtering by zip code, address, sales, or # of employees. The New Businesses section is updated weekly with more than 40,000 new businesses nationwide and more than 200 in Travis County.
- Brands and their Companies
- Companies and their Brands
- Encyclopedia of Corporate Names Worldwide
- Thomas Register
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Trademark Electronic Search System
Market Trends/Market Share
- Standard & Poor's Industry Surveys
- Mergent Industry Review
- Market Share Reporter
- Business Insights
- Business Source Complete
Factiva (Dow Jones) - Search for your product or service combined with keywords such as: trends, statistics, marketing research, forecasts, sales, demand, analysis, market share. Unfortunately, some of the articles found in Factiva are just summaries of expensive research reports for sale, but often some statistics can be found within the summary.
- Current Industrial Reports - production and shipment of selected products
- County Business Patterns - economic data by industry
- Trend Watching