Austin History Center to host "Music in the Park" with Austin School District's Student Musicians
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Contact: Kanya Lyons, 512-974-7379
The Austin History Center will host a family-friendly afternoon of “Music in the Park” Sunday, April 3, featuring students from the Austin Independent School District.
The event will be from 2 to 5 PM at Wooldridge Square Park, west of Guadalupe Street between Ninth and 10th streets. AISD Supt. Dr. Paul Cruz will kick off the event.
Groups from various schools will perform including:
- The Fiddlers and the Rockestra from Lamar Middle School and Fine Arts Academy.
- The Dobie Middle School and College Prep Academy Guitarists.
- The Blackshear Elementary Fine Arts Academy’s Choir.
- Austin High School’s Mixed Woodwind Trio and Trumpet Quartet.
Pack a blanket, lawn chairs and a picnic to enjoy while you listen to the music. Snow cones, tacos and beverages will be available for purchase from Kona and Rosarito food carts.
The Austin Public Library’s Youth Services Department will have craft supplies available for kids to make their own musical instruments.
Besides the music, festivities also include the Austin History Center’s latest exhibit “Making the Grade: Austin’s First Public Schools.” The exhibit explores the origins of Austin’s public school system with original photographs and vintage school memorabilia such as report cards and course schedules.
Visitors are invited to view the exhibit at the History Center, located next to Wooldridge Square Park, before and after the musical event. An in-gallery scavenger hunt will help make the exhibit fun for the whole family.
- Día de los Niños, Día de los Libros – Children's Day, Book Day
- The Community Archives Program in Austin Receives Diversity Award from Society of American Archivists
- Austin Public Library Joins Initiative to Help Entrepreneurs Launch Businesses with Focus on Women and People of Color
- Opening Reception for New Photography Exhibit: We'll Just Rock for Ourselves
- Windsor Park Branch Closed for Renovations Starting January 19, 2018