Debut of Library's New Catalog
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 29, 2012
Contact: Kanya Lyons | (512) 974-7379
New Austin Public Library Catalog Offers Social Media Functionality:
Search, Browse, Rate, Comment, Tag, Share, Connect and More
On August 27, the Austin Public Library (APL) launches a new catalog to make finding Library materials easier, faster, more intuitive and a lot more fun. Leveraging social networking principles, APL's new catalog gives customers improved functionality in a more user-friendly environment that is designed to help connect people with common interests. The catalog seeks to provide the same experience of discovery and community online that the Library has always delivered in person—all built around the heart of the library: its collections. Search, browse, rate, comment, tag, and share your favorite Library books, movies and music. For more information please call (512) 974-7400 or visit library.austintexas.gov.
Get a sneak preview today: library.austintexas.gov/newcatalog
APL's new catalog includes the following enhanced functionality:
- A smarter search for better results: easy ways to narrow or expand your search, or browse for related items.
- Not sure what you’re looking for? Peruse bestsellers, new additions to the collection, award winners or materials that are generating a lot of interest. You can also browse the shelves virtually.
- Share your ratings, comments, tags and more with other Library customers.
- Follow customers with similar tastes and get recommendations.
- Share your interests through your other accounts, like Facebook and Twitter.
- Easily build lists to share within a community of users with similar tastes and interests.
- Use your three virtual shelves (Complete, In Progress, and For Later) to keep track of all things books, music, and movies. Next time you can’t remember that title, you can check your virtual shelves.
- It's now even easier to place holds and renew items online.