Made With Code: Kid-friendly Coding and Virtual Reality Activities
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, August 29, 2016
Contact: Kanya Lyons, 512-974-7379
The Austin Public Library, the City of Austin’s Digital Inclusion Program and Google Fiber present kid-friendly coding and virtual reality activities including:
- Made with Code | A Google initiative inviting Austin families to try beginner coding projects in a visual and creative way. Designed as an introduction to the concept of coding, Made with Code offers basic projects such as working with animated figures and mixing music.
- Google Cardboard | A fun way to turn nearly any mobile phone into a virtual reality viewer. Kids will be able to put their own cardboard-based viewer together and try out virtual reality applications on-site.
Staff from the Austin Public Library and the Digital Inclusion team will join representatives from Google Fiber to guide the activities and answer questions.
Saturday, September 10, 1 PM
Ruiz Branch | 1600 Grove Blvd. | 512-974-7500
Saturday, September 17, 1 PM
Southeast Branch | 5803 Nuckols Crossing Rd. | 512-974-8840
Saturday, October 1,1 PM
Twin Oaks Branch | 1800 S. Fifth St. | 512-974-9980
Saturday, October 22,1 PM
Hampton Branch at Oak Hill | 5125 Convict Hill Rd. | 512-974-9900
About Community Connections
This event is part of Google Fiber’s partnership with the City and Library via the Community Connections program. The Community Connections program awarded a free gigabit-speed Internet connection for ten years to 100 nonprofit and public facilities in fiberhoods that qualify for Google Fiber service. They include schools, libraries, government buildings, recreation centers and nonprofit organizations from a variety of sectors. More information about the City’s digital inclusion program is available ataustintexas.gov/digitalinclusion. Information about Google Fiber is available atgoogle.com/fiber/austin.
- NEW eCard Allows Austin Residents to Access the Virtual Library Without Leaving their Homes
- Tax Assistance at Libraries
- Opening Reception for New Exhibit: Clearing Stones and Sowing Seeds
- Interim Library Services During Renovation of Windsor Park Branch
- Windsor Park Branch Closed for Renovations Starting January 19, 2018