Virtual Resources for Teens
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Wednesday, April 15, 2020
Take advantage of free resources for teens by visiting our Virtual Library!
Already have a Library Card? Use the number on the back to gain access to virtual material.
Don't have a Library Card? No problem! Take advantage of our eCard; it provides access to the library’s digital materials and can be acquired without visiting a library location. (The card is free for Austin residents and costs $22 for non-residents.) Apply at https://library.austintexas.gov/mylibrarycard
eBooks, eAudiobooks, and Magazines. NOW AVAILABLE: 7-day pass to Indie Flix, Acorn TV, The Great Courses, and Qello Stingray concerts and music documentaries.
Thousands of eBooks, eAudiobooks and Streaming Video. With these tools you can check out 10 items at a time, put holds on popular titles, and return titles to be able to check out more.
This app has your learning needs covered -- includes online tutors daily from 2-11 pm, plus essay feedback service, language lab with help for language learners, and eParachute to discover careers that match your skills and interests. Features include MEET's private, virtual study rooms and FlashBulb, which creates and shares flashcards, tests, and games.
Learn over 70 world languages + 20 ESL/ELL courses, plus Mango Premiere Films
Learn skills for pretty much anything - from Adobe Photoshop, to the soft skills you might need when you land your first job.
History in the Making
The Austin History Center's COVID-19 Files: Austin Responds to a Pandemic archive is looking for community narratives, photos, art, and other forms of response to the impacts of COVID-19. Send in your items to become a part of Austin's recorded history.
Best of the Web
PBS: Above the Noise - Everything's Canceled : Coping Tips Straight from a Psychologist. Host Myles Bess talks with teens about the ordinary and extraordinary anxieties of the COVID-19 landscape, and gets some helpful tips for handling the stress from psychologist, Natalie Todd.
Napping Princess - film by Director Kenji Kamiayama
If only we could all sleep through the next 6 months like the heroine of this action-packed sci-fi fantasy anime! Available to stream today from Hoopla .
STAMPED -- Racism, Antiracism, and You - book by Jason Reynolds and Dr. Ibram X. Kendi.
Jason Reynolds sharpens his storyteller's pen on 500 years of racism in America - and few heroes of history remain standing. A must-read for everyone in America.
Flex your culinary muscles with bon appetit magazine - and then take a break with their hilarious web show where master chefs are challenged to recreate time-tested favorites…. like pop rocks! Find it in the Magazine section of RBdigital .
Love British TV? Check out a free 7 day all-access streaming pass for AcornTV available on RBdigital .
WHILE WE ARE CLOSED
Monday through Friday 10 AM to 6 PM - phone (512) 974-7475
Ask a Librarian
Monday through Friday 10 AM to 6 PM – chat, email, phone (512) 974-7400 or text (512) 337-4893
The following service changes are effective until further notice:
- Due dates for items due during the closure have been extended and will be modified as needed while the Austin Public Library remains closed
- Book drops are CLOSED during this time. Please hold on to your items until we reopen
- ALL programs and events at libraries are CANCELED, such as story times, club meetings, community talks, computer classes, public meetings, building rentals, etc.
- Holds that are currently ready for pickup will be available when the library reopens
- Customers will not receive hold notification emails during the closure
- NO new holds may be placed during the closure period
- Library Cards set to expire during the closure period will be extended through the closure period
- Library Cards that expired prior to the closure period can be renewed online
All Austin Public Library locations, The Austin History Center and Recycled Reads are closed to the public. Austin Public Library will continue to monitor COVID-19 developments with the help of Austin Public Health, the City of Austin, and its partner agencies. Decisions to reopen the library system will be based on the COVID019 situation. Austin Public Library will seek to balance the safety and health of our community with its commitment to serving our citizens.
- Austin Central Library Named COTE Top Ten Awards Winner
- Virtual Job Assistance
- Austin Public Library Launches APL+
- Spanish Language Virtual Library Resources
- Virtual Resources for Teens
- Calling all kids!
- Virtual Resources at Austin Public Library
- COVID-19 Update
- CANCELED AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program
- Austin Public Library Named as a Top 10 Innovator by Urban Libraries Council