The Austin Public Library invites you to participate in extending our reach into the community by becoming a Social Media Ambassador or #APLambassador. Help raise awareness of the Library on social media and at the same time, raise the Library’s awareness of you, its supporter.
Become a Social Media Ambassador
Ambassadorship is one way to volunteer for the Library - no application required! Simply sign up to receive #APLambassador emails (the sign up form is also on this webpage). The Library is active on several social media platforms. We’re organizing ambassadors across platforms through email. We’ll give you the scoop on Library programs and projects and highlight relevant hashtags.
Though your participation takes place online, occassionaly we organize special in-person events at the Library just for our ambassadors:
- October 22, 2017 (photo at right): ambassadors got a sneak preview of Austin's new Central Library before the grand opening on October 28.
- June 29, 2018: ambassadors got a sneak preview of APL After Dark, a new event series taking place after normal operating hours at the Central Library.
- August 16, 2019: ambassadors were treated to an appreciation party and sneak preview of exciting, upcoming library events that would benefit from their support and social networking.
What We’re Asking Ambassadors to Do
In addition to reading #APLambassador emails:
- Add the Library on your favorite social media platforms.
- Share your stories and what you love about the Library – maybe an upcoming event, a recent blog post, your favorite branch or what you're reading, watching and listening to.
- Use a certain hashtag when we encourage you to do so – for instance, tell others “I am an #APLambassador” to show your support for the Library.
The Urban Libraries Council, the organization of North America’s leading public libraries, has recognized our ambassadors program with a 2018 Top Innovator Award. A panel of expert judges selected the program for demonstrating the value and impact of public library service among libraries in the U.S. and Canada. Learn more.
Listen to Ambassadors Tell Their Stories
APL Volumes, the Library's podcast, is available on LibSyn through a web browser, Apple Podcasts and Stitcher for Android devices. Volumes features Social Media Ambassadors reflecting on the Library in their lives. This LibSyn playlist brings them all together, with the latest podcast (playable below) listed first.
The APL Social Media Ambassadors program was founded in 2015. Questions or Comments? Click here to email us.