Please fill out the Summer Youth Application which will be posted mid-February.
What is the Summer Youth Volunteer Program?
Youth volunteers help staff in various duties around the library. Most youth volunteers traditionally assist the Youth Services librarians with programs and/or program preparation. Duties may include lesson planning, preparing craft and program material, program set-up and take down, supervising and assisting participants during programs, re-shelving books, and light clean up. Volunteer duties and positions will vary depending on the summer and the location. Applicants requesting a reasonable accommodation should complete the Volunteer Accommodation Request Form.
What are the program dates and times?
The program runs eight weeks from June 3-July 26, 2019. Youth volunteers work a 4 hour shift once per week and are NOT paid for their volunteer work. Individual schedules will be determined by supervisor availability, library needs and the youth’s availability. Youth are placed Monday through Friday between 10am-5pm.
What are the program locations?
Most Library locations--although not all locations-- will host an APL Summer Youth Volunteer. Possible reasons why some locations will not be included are: closures for renovations or the location is working with another youth placement program. We are not placing youth at the Cepeda, Yarborough, and Oak Hill branches.
Who can participate?
In order to participate in this program, you must:
- Be between 13-17 years old on or before March 31, 2020. Those 17 years of age may also apply to the Adult Volunteer Program.
- Complete a Summer Youth Volunteer Application.
- Complete an additional Volunteer Community Service Request Form and/or Volunteer Accommodation Request Form if applicable.
- Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator in early April if your application is chosen to move to the second round.
- Complete a successful background investigation. This will include fingerprinting (ages 15 and older) if the applicant has lived outside the state of Texas in the last 10 years.
- Attend mandatory training on Saturday, May 18th from 11a-12:30p.
- Commit to volunteering 1 day per week for 4 hours per week during the program season (June through July).
- Commit to having no more than 2 absences during the program season (June through July).
How do I apply?
Applications will be accepted from February 20-March 20th. Applications must be received by Volunteer Services by Friday, March 20, 2020 at 5 pm. Applications received after this deadline will not be accepted. Complete the application process by:
1. Emailing the completed application and any additional forms as a PDF attachment to APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov. Applications are set up so you may type directly into the form. You do not need to print or scan the form in order to email it.
2. Mailing the completed application to:
Austin Public Library
PO Box 2287
Austin, TX 78768-2287
Once Volunteer Services receives your application, we will send a letter via email within 7-10 days with your interview date and location if your application is chosen to move to the interview round.
When will I know whether I am accepted?
We receive more applications than we have placements. Completing this application and attending an interview does not guarantee a placement. Letters via email will be sent in late April/early May telling applicants whether they have been accepted into the program. Applicants will have 3 business days to respond and may accept or decline any placement offer. After 3 business days Volunteer Services may rescind the offer in order to fill the placement with another qualified candidate.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please contact the Volunteer Services Coordinator at 512-974-7443 (or Relay Texas 711) or APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov with any questions you may have.