Library Videoconferencing for Community Connectivity and Civic Engagement
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Contact: Kanya Lyons, 512-974-7379
New videoconferencing technology at the Library makes connectivity easier and more accessible for civic engagement, military families, community organizations, small start-up businesses and to connect homebound individuals to community meetings held at libraries.
Videoconferencing capabilities are available at the following libraries:
- Carver Branch (District 1)
- Southeast Branch (District 2)
- Ruiz Branch (District 3)
- Little Walnut Creek Branch (District 4)
- Manchaca Road Branch (District 5)
- Spicewood Springs Branch (District 6)
- Yarborough Branch (District 7)
- Hampton Branch at Oak Hill (District 8)
- Old Quarry Branch (District 10)
Library staff will assist customers with starting a videoconferencing meeting using the Chromebox for Meetings videoconferencing cart, but will not provide technical assistance or troubleshooting for devices outside the Library.
Customers who wish to utilize the videoconferencing tools should be familiar with using the internet, email, Google Hangouts and audio/visual tools such as web cams, microphones and speakers.
Remote Citizen Communications
Austinites have asked that the City make it easier for individuals to participate in council meetings. Time is set aside at 12 noon at each council meeting for a maximum of 10 individuals to address the council on topics of their choice.
For those unable to travel to City Hall, videoconferencing for Remote Citizen Communication is available at one Library in each of the City Council districts, except in the district where City Hall is located. City Hall will remain the District 9 Citizen Communications venue.
For more information about the General Citizen Communication process please visit austintexas.gov/department/citizen-participation-council-meetings or contact the City Clerk’s office at 512-974-2210.
For more information about video conferencing at the Austin Public Library visit library.austintexas.gov/videoconferencing.
- Celebration of Diverse Literary Voices of Texas at the Austin Central Library
- NEW eCard Allows Austin Residents to Access the Virtual Library Without Leaving their Homes
- Tax Assistance at Libraries
- Opening Reception for New Exhibit: Clearing Stones and Sowing Seeds
- Interim Library Services During Renovation of Windsor Park Branch
- Windsor Park Branch Closed for Renovations Starting January 19, 2018