ADULT VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
(follow the link, create an account, then click "Join" at the top of the page)
The Adult Volunteer Program is seeking motivated, highly flexible, diverse, customer service-ready volunteers who can't wait to be a part of the library customer service experience. There are no library volunteer positions that are not customer service-oriented.
The Adult Volunteer Program is open to those 17 years or older. Here are the steps for working towards becoming an APL volunteer:
- Go to our Volunteer Opportunities page to find an open volunteer opportunity that matches your skills and interests.
- Applicants must be 17 years or older by the date of the application.
- For the application process, APL has partnered with the volunteer website GivePulse. Please complete an application through the APL GivePulse site.
- If applicable, complete an additional Volunteer Accommodation Form.
- Complete the volunteer screening process, including interviews.
- Accept a placement offer. ** Please note: Not all interviews/applications result in a placement offer.**
- Attend mandatory volunteer orientation.
- Complete a successful criminal background investigation.
- Commit to volunteering for a minimum of three months at two hours per week. Some positions may require more.
- Commit to regularly recording volunteer hours into the GivePulse database for tracking volunteer hours.
What does the criminal background investigation include?
Volunteer applicants are required to complete a criminal background investigation through the City of Austin since they will be working as a representative of Austin. APL pays for all criminal background investigations. Annual criminal background investigations will be conducted without further notice for the duration of the volunteer position.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please contact Volunteer Services Coordinator Paul Lopez at 512-974-7443 or APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov with any questions you may have.