The Austin Public Library accepts most adult and youth volunteers who need community service hours for school, court, or other agencies. In order to be considered for community service hours, applicants must:
1. Be willing to complete a minimum of 24 community service hours (adults) or 12 hours (youth) for a minimum of 3 months if a volunteer opportunity is available. More hours may be required by APL based on the volunteer position. Volunteers may not work more hours to complete service in less than 3 months.
2. Have a community service completion deadline of at least 4 months in advance.
3. Check out our current volunteer opportunities to see if there is a match for your skills and interests. APL does not have dedicated community service volunteer positions.
4. Complete a successful criminal background investigation and orientation prior to beginning as a volunteer. This process will include fingerprinting for those who have lived outside the state within the last 10 years and are 15 years or older. This process usually takes 5-7 business days but may take 14-21 business days if fingerprinting is included.
** The Austin Public Library does not accept court ordered community service requests for the following offenses: felonies, violent crime (felony or misdemeanor), crimes against children (felony or misdemeanor), or theft (felony or misdemeanor). The Volunteer Coordinator will review all other offenses.**
Interested applicants must complete an Adult Volunteer Application or Youth Volunteer Application and Volunteer Community Service Form. Volunteer Applications and Community Service Forms are only accepted for current volunteer opportunities. Submission of an application does not guarantee a placement.
Submit the completed applications and forms to Volunteer Services by:
1. Emailing the completed application and form as PDF attachments to APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov. The application/forms are typewriter PDF forms. You may type directly into the form and save the completed documents to your computer. We are unable to accept applications/forms in other formats (Word, Google docs, etc.) at this time.
2. Mailing the completed applications and forms to:
Austin Public Library
PO BOX 2287
Austin, TX 78768-2287
Please contact the Volunteer Services Coordinator at 512-974-7443 (or Relay Texas 711) or APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov with any questions you may have.