The application window for the Spring Youth Volunteer Program is now closed. The dates for the Spring Youth Volunteer Program are March 5-May 13.
What does the Fall/Spring Youth Volunteer Program look like?
Youth volunteers help staff in various library duties around the branch. Most youth volunteers traditionally assist the Youth Services librarians with programs and/or program preparation. Duties may include preparing program materials, program set-up and take down, supervising and assisting participants during programs, re-shelving books, and light clean up. Volunteer duties and positions will vary depending on the season and the location. Applicants requesting reasonable volunteer accommodations should request the Volunteer Accommodation Request Form from the volunteer coordinator at APL.firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the program dates?
The program runs ten weeks from either October-December (fall) or March-May (spring). Youth volunteers work a one or two hour shift once per week. Youth volunteers are traditionally placed during after school hours or on weekends. Additional placements may be available during weekday business hours (9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) if it does not interfere with school. Individual schedules will be determined by library needs, supervisor availability, and the youth’s availability. Not all locations will have volunteer opportunities.
In order to participate in this program, you must:
- Be 13 to 17 years old. Those 17 years of age may also apply to the Adult Volunteer Program.
- Be no younger than 13 years of age and no older than 17 years of age by July 1 (fall) or November 1 (spring).
- Complete the online application when posted.
- Complete an additional Volunteer Accommodation Request Form (if applicable). Request a form APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov.
- Complete an interview with the Austin Public Library Volunteer Coordinator.
- Accept a placement offer. **Please note: Not all interviews/applications result in a placement offer.**
- Complete a successful background investigation. This will include fingerprinting (ages 15 and older) for applicants that have lived outside the state of Texas in the last ten years.
- Attend mandatory volunteer orientation.
- Commit to volunteering one to two days per week for two hours per week during the program season.
- Commit to having no more than two absences during the program season.
How do I apply?
Applications will be posted at the top of this webpage during the application window for each session. Complete the online application and e-mail any additional forms to APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov
What happens after I apply?
If selected for the interview process, you will be given the opportunity to sign up for a virtual interview.
When will I know whether I am accepted?
Acceptance emails will be sent telling applicants whether they have been accepted into the program. Applicants will have three business days to respond. After three business days Volunteer Services may rescind the offer in order to fill the placement with another qualified applicant. Submission of an application or attending an interview does NOT guarantee a placement offer.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please contact Volunteer Services Coordinator Paul Lopez at APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov with any questions you may have.