The Spring 2018 Youth Application is available between November 1st-November 30th.
Please click here to access application.
What is the Fall/Spring Youth Volunteer Program?
Youth volunteers help staff in various duties around the library. Most youth volunteers traditionally assist the Youth Services librarians with programs and/or program preparation. Duties may include lesson planning, preparing craft and program material, program set-up and take down, supervising and assisting participants during programs, re-shelving books, and light clean up. Volunteer duties and positions will vary depending on the season and the location. Applicants requesting reasonable accommodations should complete the Volunteer Accommodation Request Form.
What are the program dates?
The program runs ten weeks from either October-December (Fall) or February-May (Spring). Youth volunteers work a 1 or 2 hour shift once per week and are NOT paid for their volunteer work. Youth are traditionally placed Monday through Friday during the afterschool hours. Additional placements may be available during weekday business hours (10am-5pm). Individual schedules will be determined by library needs, supervisor availability, and the youth’s availability. Not all locations will have opportunities past 5pm.
Who can participate?
In order to participate in this program, you must:
- Be between 13-17 years old. Those 17 years of age may also apply to the Adult Volunteer Program.
- Youth must be no younger than 13 years of age and no older than 17 years of age by July 1 (Fall) or November 1 (Spring).
- Complete a either a Fall or Spring Youth Volunteer Application. Email the completed application as a PDF attachment.
- Complete an additional Volunteer Community Service Request Form and/or Volunteer Accommodation Request Form (if applicable). Email the completed forms as PDF attachments.
- Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator in August (Fall) or December (Spring).
- Accept a placement offer. **Please note: Not all interviews/applications result in a placement offer.**
- Complete a successful background investigation. This will include fingerprinting (ages 15 and older) for applicants that have lived outside the state of Texas in the last 10 years.
- Attend mandatory training in September (Fall) or January (Spring).
- Commit to volunteering 1-2 days per week for 2 hours per week during the program season--October-December (Fall) or February-May (Spring).
- Commit to having no more than 2 absences during the program season--October-December (Fall) or February-May (Spring).
How do I apply?
FALL applications will be accepted from ONLY July 1-31. Applications must be received in the Volunteer Services Office by July 31 at 5 pm.
SPRING applications will be accepted from ONLY November 1-30. Applications must be received in the Volunteer Services Office by November 30 at 5pm.
Applications received before the open date OR after this deadline will not be accepted.
Complete the application process by:
1. Emailing the completed application and any additional forms as a PDF attachment to APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov. The application/forms are typewriter PDF forms. You may type directly into the form and save the completed application to your computer. Printing or scanning the completed document is no necessary. We are unable to accept applications in other formats (Word, Google docs, etc.) at this time.
2. Mailing the completed application to:
Austin Public Library
PO Box 2287
Austin, TX 78768-2287
Once Volunteer Services receives your application, we will send a letter via email within 7-10 days with your interview date and location.
When will I know whether I am accepted?
Letters via email will be sent in late August/early September (Fall) or late December/early January (Spring) telling applicants whether they have been accepted into the program. Applicants will have 3 business days to respond. After 3 business days Volunteer Services may rescind the offer in order to fill the placement with another qualified applicant. Submission of an application or attending an interview does NOT guarantee a placement offer.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please contact the Volunteer Services Coordinator at 512-974-7443 (or Relay Texas 711) or APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov with any questions you may have.