The Fall Youth Volunteer Program is full. The application for the Spring Youth Volunteer Program opens December 1.
What does the Fall/Spring Youth Volunteer Program look like?
Youth volunteers help staff in various duties around the library. Most youth volunteers traditionally assist the Youth Services librarians with programs and/or program preparation. Duties may include lesson planning, preparing programming materials, program set-up and take down, supervising and assisting participants during programs, re-shelving books, running specialized clubs for teens, and light clean up. Volunteer duties and positions will vary depending on the summer and the location. Applicants requesting a reasonable volunteer accommodation can request an Accommodation Request Form from the volunteer coordinator.
What are the program dates?
The program runs ten weeks from either October-December (fall) or March-May (spring). Youth volunteers work a two hour shift, once per week. Youth volunteers are traditionally placed during after school hours or on weekends. Additional placements may be available during weekday business hours (9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) if it does not interfere with school. Individual schedules will be determined by library needs, supervisor availability, and the youth’s availability. Not all locations will have volunteer opportunities.
In order to participate in this program, you must:
- Be 13 to 17 years old. Those 17 years of age may also apply to the Adult Volunteer Program.
- Be no younger than 13 years of age and no older than 17 years of age by July 1 (fall) or November 1 (spring).
- Complete the online application when posted.
- Complete an additional Volunteer Accommodation Request Form (if applicable). Request a form from APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov.
- Be available for an interview with the Austin Public Library volunteer coordinator.
- Accept a placement offer. **Please note: Not all applications result in a placement offer.**
- Complete a successful background check. This will include fingerprinting (ages 15 and older) for applicants that have lived outside the state of Texas in the last ten years.
- Attend mandatory youth volunteer orientation.
- Commit to volunteering one day per week for two hours during the program season.
- Commit to having no more than two absences during the program season.
How do I apply?
Applications will be posted at the top of this webpage during the application window for each session. Complete the online application.
What happens after I apply?
The volunteer coordinator will review applications and try to find a placement for as many applicants as possible.
When will I know whether I am accepted?
Acceptance emails will be sent telling applicants whether they have been accepted into the program. Applicants will have three business days to respond. After three business days Volunteer Services may rescind the offer in order to fill the placement with another qualified applicant. Submission of an application does NOT guarantee a placement offer.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please contact Volunteer Services Coordinator Paul Lopez at APL.Volunteers@austintexas.gov with any questions you may have.