• 1955 - The Austin-Travis County Collection is created as a part of the Austin Public Library.

  • 1955 - Students compete in the first Historical Essay Contest sponsored by the Austin-Travis County Collection. The contest will be held each year for the next 20 years.

  • 1960 - The Niles-Graham-Pease family papers are donated to the Austin-Travis County Collection nearly quadrupling the collection's size.

  • 1961 - Katherine Drake Hart becomes curator of the Austin-Travis County Collection.

  • 1965 - Friends of the Austin Public Library begin Waterloo Press in order to feature manuscript and photographic material from the Austin-Travis County Collection.

  • 1975 - Audray Bateman Randle becomes curator of the Austin-Travis County Collection.

  • 1979 - The original 1933 Austin Public Library building is occupied solely by the Austin-Travis County Collection when the new central library is complete.

  • 1980 - Austin History Center Association is formed to support the creation of the Austin History Center.

  • 1983 - The Austin-Travis County Collection formally becomes the Austin History Center.

  • 1983 - Judge Trueman O'Quinn donates his substantial collection of O. Henry material to the Austin History Center.

  • 1987 - The Austin History Center constructs a photo reproduction lab to facilitate preservation of photographic images.

  • 1989 - Biruta Celmins Kearl becomes curator of the Austin History Center.

  • 2000 - The Austin History Center creates new Neighborhood Liaison positions (now called Community Archivists) to broaden its acquisitions program.

  • 2003 - Sue Soy becomes curator of the Austin History Center.

  • 2005 - The Austin History Center celebrates its 50th anniversary.

  • 2008 - Michael C. Miller becomes manager of the Center in March after serving as the Acting Manager since October 2007

  • 2013 - The Austin History Center's building at 810 Guadalupe turns 80 years old.