The French Legation, at 802 San Marcos, is Austin's oldest documented structure still on its original site. Construction began in December 1840 to the specifications ordered by France's representative to the Republic of Texas, Jean Pierre Isidore Alphonse Dubois de Saligny. The French Legation is now open to the public as a museum.
Why was Austin's first municipal airport named Mueller Airport?
Return to the Austin History Quiz.