Request an Interlibrary Loan Here or call 512-974-7400
Please provide as much information about the book as you can and indicate your pick-up location.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows Austin Public Library card holders access to books which are not available from the Library's collection. You can request a book through the Ask a Librarian email form or by calling the Reference Librarians at 512-974-7400 (option 1). Customers may also ask for staff assistance in placing their requests in person at a library location. Once a request is submitted, the process can take up to six weeks. When available, your request will be sent to your preferred pick-up location and you will receive a notification by email or USPS. You have 10 days to pick up the material. Customers can also use Ask a Librarian or call the Reference staff to check the status of their ILL requests. Customers can check the holdings at other library systems through the Worldcat database to get a general idea about availability; however, we can only borrow books from participating libraries in our lending area. There is no guarantee that we will be able to obtain a title that appears available in Worldcat.
Please note the following before placing an ILL request:
- The Austin Public Library does not accept requests for DVDs, audio books, articles, microfilm, or music CDs.
- Customers are limited to ONE transaction, including requests and check-outs. The lending library must check the item back in before another request can be placed.
- We cannot request items that are in the Austin Public Library collection. Please check our online catalog to place a hold.
- Recent items (published within the last 12 months) will not be requested. Often these are already on order for our collection and other libraries are not willing to loan these popular titles.
- The service is free unless the lending library charges a fee.
- Customers are responsible for lost or damaged books and late fees charged by the lending library.
- Customers’ ILL requests will count towards the 5 hold limit on Austin Public Library materials. If an ILL request is received when a customer has five holds, the ILL cannot be processed. The customer will be notified that a hold must be cleared for the ILL request to be received.
- Customers with fines, bills, or overdue materials cannot request ILL books.
- Customers may not renew ILL books.
- TexShare Card Program: Austin Public Library cardholders who have had their Austin Public Library Card for at least 6 months and are in good standing are eligible to apply in person at any Austin Public Library location for a TexShare Card to borrow materials at other participating library systems. Austin Public Library cardholders will need to present their Austin Public Library Card along with their photo ID and proof of address in order to apply for a TexShare Card. Cardholders will need to fill out a “TexShare Agreement” form and will receive the TexShare Card in the U.S. Mail in 7 – 10 days. Customers can check the holdings of other libraries using the WorldCat database.
- Suggest a Title for Purchase if you do not see it in our online catalog. We may be able to purchase the item for our collection.
If you have any questions, please call 512-974-7400 or Ask a Librarian via email, chat, or text.