Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows Austin Public Library card holders access to books that are not available from the Library's collection.
Request an Interlibrary Loan using the Ask a Librarian form or call 512-974-7400. Please provide as much information about the book as you can and indicate your pick-up location. Customers may also ask for staff assistance in placing their requests in person at a library location.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Faulk Central Library will be closed starting September 16 and the Southeast Branch will be closed starting September 18. Please choose a different location for ILL pickups.
Once a request is submitted, the process can take up to six weeks. All items are received at the Faulk Central Library for processing. Customers can choose to have an item sent to a branch for pickup; transfers to branches take two to three business days. A notification will be sent via email or USPS when the book is ready for pickup at the preferred location and the item will be held for 10 days. Contact us through Ask a Librarian or by phone to check the status of an ILL request.
Customers can check the holdings at other library systems through the Worldcat database to get a general idea about availability; however, we can only borrow books from participating libraries in our lending area.There is no guarantee that we will be able to obtain a title that appears available in Worldcat.
Please note the following before placing an ILL request:
- Customers who apply for a free Austin Public Library card through the TexShare Card program may not request Interlibrary Loans. Interlibrary Loans should be requested through a customer’s home library system.
- The Austin Public Library does not accept requests for DVDs, audio books, articles, microfilm, or music CDs.
- Customers are limited to ONE transaction, including requests and check-outs. The lending library must check the item back in before another request can be placed. Please allow two weeks for shipping and processing.
- We cannot request items that are in the Austin Public Library collection. Please check our online catalog to place a hold.
- The service is free unless the lending library charges a fee.
- Customers are responsible for lost or damaged books and late fees charged by the lending library.
- Customers’ ILL requests will count towards the 5 hold limit on Austin Public Library materials. If an ILL book arrives when a customer has five holds, the customer will be notified that a hold must be cleared for the book to be processed.
- Customers with fines, bills, or overdue materials cannot request ILL books.
- Customers may not renew ILL books.
- TexShare Card Program: Austin Public Library cardholders who have had their Austin Public Library Card for at least 6 months and are in good standing are eligible to apply in person at any Austin Public Library location for a TexShare Card to borrow materials at other participating library systems. Austin Public Library cardholders will need to present their Austin Public Library Card along with their photo ID and proof of address in order to apply for a TexShare Card. Cardholders will need to fill out a “TexShare Agreement” form and will receive the TexShare Card in the U.S. Mail in 7 – 10 days. Customers can check the holdings of other libraries using the WorldCat database.
- Suggest a Title for Purchase if you do not see it in our online catalog. We may be able to purchase the item for our collection.