Tour the Central Library in person or check out the virtual tour.
- available on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 12:30 PM
- approximately one hour long
- led by a trained docent
- first come, first served
- capped at 15 people per tour
Registration begins at 12 PM inside the Gift Shop located on the 2nd floor. Tourgoers are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes.
*There will be no public tour Wednesday, August 15th. Tours will resume on Saturday, August 19th.
Specialized Tours and Group Visits
Reservations and inquiries for all other tours and group visits can be made through our Group Library Visit Request Form or by calling 512-974-7400. Tour length varies based on the topic.
Tours for Adults
For adult groups, please contact us at least two weeks in advance to request one of the following types of visits. We can combine or customize as needed.
- Building Tours (45-60 minutes): Schedule a walkthrough of the Central Library. We briefly mention the types of materials on each floor and services offered. Let us know in the comments section if you have any special interests in the building's architecture or library operations.
- Finding books/Using the online catalog (30-45 Minutes): A librarian will provide an overview of our online catalong including the Virtual Library —downloadable eBooks and eAudiobooks, digital magazines and streaming music and movies.
- Research Workshop (45-60 Minutes): A research workshop is an opportunity for your group to meet with a librarian and learn about our databases in our 15–seat computer lab. If your group has a specific research topic, we will focus on databases that best meet your needs for finding journal articles, primary resources and other scholarly materials.
Youth Field Trips
The Central Library is a great place for school or youth organization field trips! Youth staff welcomes your group and tells you a little about the library. Then your group can explore the Children’s or Teen Areas. This usually takes about 45 minutes. After this, your group may then explore the rest of the library on your own as best fits your interests and available time. Please schedule a youth field trip at least one month in advance for a Wednesday or Thursday.