November 1 through December 12
Yarborough Branch | 2200 Hancock Dr.
Art from Austin-Area youth
The earliest iteration of the Yarborough Branch began in 1956 with the opening of the Northwest Branch at 5923 Burnet Road. It was moved in 1964 to the Allandale Shopping Center and renamed the Allandale Branch. In 1981, having outgrown that space, it was relocated to property within the North Loop Center and was renamed the North Loop Branch. Finally in 1988, after a brief stint on North Loop West, the branch was moved to a rental space at 2210 Hancock Drive where it remained until the Yarborough Branch opened in 1999 in the former Americana Theatre. Upon request of one of the local neighborhood associations, the branch was named in honor of the late U.S. Senator from Texas, Ralph W. Yarborough.
Whether browsing the stacks or picking up holds at Yarborough, be sure to look up and take in Flights of Fancy, a mixed-media piece combining mobile, sculpture and mural by Marla Camp and Dayna Beard-Isensee, part of the Austin Art in Public Places program.