Student Library Card
Students who either live in or are enrolled in any school in Travis County – including public, private, daycare, charter, and homeschool – are eligible for a free Student Library Card Account.
With a Student Library Account, students are able to:
- Borrow physical items from any Austin Public Library branch
- Access online resources, including eBooks, audiobooks, music and videos 24/7 via the Austin Public Library Virtual Library
- Access Homework Help in the form of one-on-one tutoring, research tools, and video tutorials
Note: Parents/Guardians are responsible for their student’s use of library resources.
Through a partnership, Austin Public Library automatically creates (or renews) Student Accounts for students enrolled in:
- Austin ISD (Note: Parents must opt-in during the registration process)
- Del Valle ISD
- Manor ISD
- Austin Achieve
- KIPP Austin (Note: Parents had to opt in during the Spring of 2023)
Student Card Frequently Asked Questions link
Do I have a Student Library Account? What’s my Library Account number?
- Austin ISD Students: your library account number is AISD + a seven digit number (not Student ID)
- Del Valle ISD Students: your library account number is DVISD + a seven digit number (not Student ID)
- Manor ISD Students: your library account number is MISD + your student ID number
- Austin Achieve Students: your library account number is AAPS + your student ID number
- KIPP Austin Students: your library account number is KIPP + your student ID number
If you are uncertain whether you have an account or need assistance with your account number, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Austin Public Library’s Customer Service at 512-974-7475.
My student is not enrolled in a partnering school district. How can they get a Student Card Account?
If your student lives in Travis County or attends a school located in Travis County, they are eligible for a free Student Account. To obtain an account both the student and parent/guardian need to visit any Austin Public Library branch. The parent/guardian should bring a photo ID for themselves and proof of address.
What if I already have a Child or Teen Card with APL?
You may continue to use your APL Child/Teen Card in addition to your Student Library Account. The borrowing limits are the same.
How many items can a student checkout with a Student Library Account?
Students can check out a maximum of 50 items at one time. Find information about loan periods and due dates here.
What fees are associated with the Student Library Account?
Receiving a Student Library Account is 100% free. Austin Public Library is also fine free. There are no fines if you renew or return something late. If an item is lost or damaged, then the parent/guardian will be held financially responsible for the lost or damaged fee.
I don’t have a physical card. Can I still checkout materials from the library?
Yes! Visit the circulation desk at any branch with your school ID or type in your Student Library Account number at one of our self-checkout kiosks.
What is my password to access online resources?
If you need help with your password, contact APL Customer Service at 512-974-7475 or visit the password reset page.