Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows Austin Public Library card holders access to books that are not available from the Library's collection.
- Customers can check the holdings at other library systems through the Worldcat database to get a general idea about availability; however, we can only borrow books from participating libraries in our Texas lending area. There is no guarantee that we will be able to obtain a title that appears available in Worldcat.
- Request an Interlibrary Loan using the Ask a Librarian form or call 512-974-7400. Please provide as much information about the book as you can and indicate your pick-up location. Customers may also ask for staff assistance in placing their requests in person at a library location.
- Once a request is submitted, the process can take up to 6 weeks. All items are received at the Central Library for processing. Customers can choose to have an item sent to a branch for pickup; transfers to branches take two to three business days. A notification will be sent when the book is ready for pickup at the preferred location and the item will be held for 10 days. Contact us through Ask a Librarian or by phone to check the status of an ILL request.
Please note the following before placing an ILL request:
- Customers who apply for a free Austin Public Library card through the TexShare Card program or for a Group Card may not request Interlibrary Loans. Interlibrary Loans should be requested through a customer’s home library system.
- The Austin Public Library does not accept requests for DVDs, audio books, articles, microfilm, or music CDs.
- Customers are limited to TWO transactions, including requests and check-outs. The lending library must check the item back in before another request can be placed. Please allow two weeks for shipping and processing.
- We cannot request items that are in the Austin Public Library collection. Please check our online catalog to place a hold.
- The service is free unless the lending library charges a fee.
- Customers are responsible for lost or damaged books and late fees charged by the lending library.
- Customers’ ILL requests will count towards the 15 hold limit on Austin Public Library materials. If an ILL book arrives when a customer has 15 holds, the customer will be notified that a hold must be cleared for the book to be processed.
- Customers with overdue materials or unpaid bills totaling $25 or more cannot request ILL books.
- Customers may not renew ILL books.
- TexShare Card Program: Austin Public Library cardholders who have had their Austin Public Library Card for at least 6 months and are in good standing are eligible to apply in person at any Austin Public Library location for a TexShare Card to borrow materials at other participating library systems.