710 W. César Chávez St.
2nd Floor, Room 207
The Central Library is authorized by the U.S. Department of State as a Passport Acceptance Facility. Our services are by appointment only. Paid parking is available in the underground garage. Standard parking rates apply, please see: Central Library Parking.
National Passport Information Center is available to answer your passport questions at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY). Customer service representatives are available Monday - Friday: 8:00AM to 10:00PM Eastern Time, except for Federal Holidays. Se habla español.
What You Need to Apply
- Check or money order. A separate check or money order for each application is preferred.
- Completed form DS-11 Passport Application, unsigned and filled out in black ink or typed. Available at travel.state.gov/applyinperson. Please print single-sided.
- Color passport photo 2x2 inches in size. For photo requirements, see travel.state.gov/photos. Required photos may also be taken during your appointment at the Austin Public Library Passport Services Office.
- Valid, unexpired photo ID plus single-sided front-and-back photocopy. If out-of-state, a supplementary ID document is needed. See travel.state.gov/identification for a list of acceptable ID documents.
- Evidence of U.S. Citizenship plus photocopy. Examples include a long-form U.S. birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, or prior full-validity U.S. passport. For details, see travel.state.gov/citizenship. Note: you must provide the original or a certified copy from the office of record. This will be submitted with your application and returned to you by mail.
- Documentation of name changes or other names used. Original or certified copy required.
If your previous passport was issued when you were 16 or older and within the last 15 years, you may be eligible to renew by mail. If you choose to renew in person, you must complete the DS-11 Passport Application and pay the $35 application acceptance fee. We cannot accept the DS-82 Renewal Application. See travel.state.gov/renew for more details.
Passports for Minors
- Minor applicant must be present at the appointment. Both legal parents and/or guardians, when applicable, must be present for the applications of children under 16, and evidence of parental or custodial relationship must be provided (for example, a birth certificate, court order, or adoption degree showing parent/guardian names). Alternatives include bringing a notarized Statement of Consent Form DS-3053 from the non-applying parent plus a front-and-back photocopy of that parent's ID, a court order showing sole legal custody, or a birth certificate with only one parent listed. Please see Children Under 16 for details and options.
- Minors age 16-17 do not need parental consent, but must show parental awareness. To do this, a parent/guardian can be present at the appointment and/or provide payment in the parent's name. Additionally, a parent/guardian who is present can identify a minor applicant who does not have their own acceptable photo ID. Please see Applicants Age 16 and 17 for more information.
- A front-and-back photocopy of acceptable ID from each parent/guardian consenting to and/or signing a minor's application must be provided.
Two separate payments are required: one to the U.S. Department of State and one to Austin Public Library. Passport application fees and the acceptance fee are set by federal regulation. By law, passport fees are non-refundable.
Application Fees for a Passport Book by Check or Money Order
A passport book may be used for international travel by air, land or sea.
- $130 for an applicant age 16 or older
- $100 for an applicant age 15 or younger
- Expedited Processing: add $60 per application
- 1-2 day shipping of passport book to you: add $19.53 per application
- Payable to the U.S. Department of State by check or money order only
Application Fees for a Passport Card by Check or Money Order
A passport card may be used only for border crossings by land or sea in the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. It cannot be used for international travel by air.
- $30 for an applicant age 16 or older
- $15 for an applicant age 15 or younger
- Payable to the U.S. Department of State by check or money order only. Can be combined with payment for a passport book.
Library Fees by Check, Money Order or Credit Card
- Application acceptance fee: $35
- Photo services fee: $12
- Payable to Austin Public Library by credit or debit card, check or money order. No cash, please.
Subject to change. Please see Processing Times for details.
- Routine Service: 8 - 11 weeks
- Expedited: 5 - 7 weeks
APLpassport@austintexas.gov | 512-974-9639 | 710 W. Cesar Chavez Street, Austin, TX 78701