Youth Library Cards link
Youth Resident and Non-Resident Library Cards are issued to applicants who are under 18 years of age in the presence of an adult parent/guardian signee. To apply for a new or replacement Youth Library Card, the adult parent/guardian signee must complete a Library Card Online Application or Youth Library Card Application and bring in person a valid/acceptable photo ID and proof of current residence address in their name to any Austin Public Library location. If the child is not present when applying for a new card, the parent/guardian is required to present either the child's birth certificate, photo ID, or Social Security Card. A child can only have one Youth card account. For split households, please call the Customer Service Office at 512-974-7475.
- Youth Resident cards are good for 3 years from the date issued/renewed, or until the cardholder's 18th birthday, whichever occurs first.
- $120 Yearly Non-Resident cards issued/renewed are good for 1 year from the date paid.
- $30 Quarterly Non-Resident cards issued/renewed are good for 3 months from the date paid.
The non-resident fee is waived for any student who either lives in or is enrolled in any school in Travis County - including private school, public, daycare, charter, and home school students - until completion of high school. These students are eligible for a Student Library Card. For more information and frequently asked questions, check out our Student Library Card page.
Renewing Youth Cards
To renew an expired Youth Library Card, the parent or guardian listed on the account must either:
- Visit an Austin Public Library location and present the Library Card, their valid and acceptable photo ID, and proof of current residence address in their name, or
- Use the Library Card Renewal Form and then upload their photo ID and address documentation.
Adults renewing a Youth Library Card will need to pay any unpaid fees owed on the account down to $24.99 or less. However, if the account has been referred to collections, all fees owed must be paid in full. Non-residents have to pay a non-resident fee in full to renew their Library Card.
Note: Parent/Guardian changes require another library card application to be completed and signed.