Youth Services includes children from birth to age 18 as well as their parents and caregivers. The Library offers storytimes, books, technology, events, and librarians specializing in youth services to help nurture a love of reading and learning. There are no overdue fees for materials returned past the due date. If an item is lost or damaged, the account is charged the cost to replace it.
Teacher, Parent, and Caregiver Support
- FREE resources for educators. Learn to use the library!
- Wi-Fi Hotspots available for checkout [more coming soon]
- Group Cards for teachers in schools, child care centers, group or nursing homes in Austin (as well as teachers in Del Valle ISD)
- Ask a Librarian to recommend resources on any interest or subject, or to schedule a virtual visit.
- Field Trips to the Central Library. For branch locations, please contact the branch directly
Support for Students
- FREE tutoring and online homework help
- FREE library cards for anyone living within Austin city limits or students enrolled in any school in Travis County - including private school, daycare, charter, and home school students - until completion of high school
- For more information and frequently asked questions, check out our Student Library Card page.
- FREE library cards for AISD, Austin Achieve, Del Valle ISD, and Manor ISD students via your school (call us if you need student card info)
- FREE computer use, Internet access, and study spaces at every library.
- The Carver, Central, Manchaca, North Village, Ruiz, Southeast, St. John, Twin Oaks, University Hills, Willie Mae Kirk, and Windsor Park branches have computer resources especially for kids age 10-18. Ask at your location for details.
Early Literacy (ages 0-4)
- FREE Virtual Storytime Kits
- Storytimes designed to support developmental stages and in several languages
- Literature Live! puppet shows for kids ages 3-8
- Children's areas in every Library where caregivers and children can play, read, and grow
Independent Literacy (ages 5-12)
- Recommendations and reading lists made just for you
- Engaging books and media for every reading level
- Literature, STEM, and arts-based programming for children and tweens
- Annual Summer Reading Program
- Author interviews with The Van Show
Teens (ages 13-18)
- ATXyz - the ATX Youth Zine (a teen-run literary & art zine)
- A Teen Guide with tips on books, health, activism, and job resources
- Teen Volunteer leadership and service opportunities
- Support for learning (including research skills and tutoring)