Central Library Shared Learning Room Policy link
The Austin Public Library’s Shared Learning Rooms at the Central Library are available for public use. Shared Learning Rooms support the Library’s mission “to provide a wide range of information and services to enrich the lives of all members of our community.”
Shared Learning Rooms are designed to meet general, informational, educational, cultural and civic needs, including activities such as study groups, conferences and workshops.
This policy establishes requirements for the use, care, and reservation of Shared Learning Rooms by members of the public.
This policy does not apply to:
- Meeting Rooms at branch locations, the Austin History Center or Recycled Reads Rental of Special Event spaces; please refer to the Special Event Policy for a full explanation of procedures, including fee schedules.
Shared Learning Room Policy link
This policy applies to the use of a Library Shared Learning Room by members of the public. It does not apply to use of a Library Shared Learning Room by the Library.
The Library Use Rules apply to Shared Learning Rooms. This policy supersedes another Library rule in the event of a conflict. This policy is cumulative of other Library use rules. This policy may be referred to as the Shared Learning Room Policy.
- Use of a Library Shared Learning Room by a group, organization or individual customer signifies the acceptance of the terms of the Shared Learning Room Policy, Library Use Rules and City policies and procedures.
- The Library reserves the right to deny use of Shared learning Rooms to individuals or groups who abuse Library rules or City policies.
- There is no charge for use of a Shared Learning Room.
- A reservation may be made in advance to use a Shared Learning Room; however, a reservation is not required. Any individual or group may use a Shared Learning Room and the equipment included in it, if the room is available and not reserved.
- Use of and scheduling of the use of a Shared Learning Room is subject to the needs of the Library and may not interfere with the Library’s operations or the use of the Library by customers.
- Use of a Shared Learning Room does not constitute Library or City of Austin endorsement of a viewpoint expressed by an individual, group or organization in a Shared Learning Room or activity.
- Individuals may not advertise or announce an event to be held in a Shared Learning Room if the advertisement or announcement states or implies the endorsement of the Library or the City of Austin.
- An announcement or notice to publicize an activity may not be posted or distributed on Library premises without advance approval from the Library.
Who May Use a Shared Learning Room? link
1. A Library Shared Learning Room may be reserved by any individual, group or organization.
2. An individual may use a Shared Learning Room that is not in use until the next reservation time.
3. An individual or group using a Shared Learning Room may not solicit money or anything of value, charge admission, sell, or advertise for sale, goods or services.
4. A Shared Learning Room may not be used for a social gathering, such as a wedding shower, baby shower, birthday party, dance or similar activity.
5. A Shared Learning Room may not be used for a political rally or campaign for or against a specific ballot issue or candidate. However, a Shared Learning Room may be used for a forum or study group on a political issue.
6. A Shared Learning Room may not be used to provide a direct healthcare service, including an examination, hands-on demonstration or treatment. However, a Shared Learning Room may be used for a forum or the sharing of information about healthcare services.
Reserving a Shared Learning Room link
1. To provide an opportunity for other individuals or groups to use the Shared Learning Rooms, a group may reserve a Shared Learning Room for a maximum of a two-hour block of time during the hours the Library is open to the public.
2. A Library Card or identification card is not required to reserve a Shared Learning Room.
3. A valid email address and an individual’s full legal name are required to make a reservation.
4. Reservations may be made up to two weeks in advance.
5. Reservations and cancellations must be made online.
6. Individuals, groups or organizations may reserve only one Shared Learning Room for use at the same time.
7. An individual, group or organization may make no more than two reservations within a two-week period.
8. Reservations may not be assigned or transferred to another individual, group or organization.
9. The reservation is forfeited if the individual, group or organization does not appear within 15 minutes of the scheduled time.
Checking Out Video Conferencing Remotes link
1. An individual may check out a remote device to access the video conferencing unit in the Shared Learning Room during the reserved time.
2. An individual must show a current and valid photo ID and contact information to check out a video conferencing remote. The individual checking out the remote is fully responsible for the remote.
3. The individual must report any malfunction, loss or damage of the remote immediately to Library staff.
4. A police report will be filed for remotes not reported or returned to Library staff.
Care and Use of a Shared Learning Room link
1. Doors to the Shared Learning Room must remain unlocked and unobstructed at all times during the hours the Library is open to the public. Aisles and passageways into and within the Shared Learning Room must not be blocked or obstructed.
2. Occupancy in a Shared Learning Room is limited to the capacity of the individual Shared Learning Room.
3. Individuals may not cause a disturbance to Library customers or Library staff.
4. Individuals must completely vacate the Shared Learning Room when the Library’s closing time is announced, at the request of Library staff or Library Security, or for another customer who has reserved the room.
5. Individuals who find items in the Shared Learning Room that do not belong to them should contact Library staff or Library Security to retrieve the item from the room.
6. The Library does not assist with or arrange structures, furniture, supplies or equipment in the Shared Learning Rooms.
(a) Individuals must not bring structures or furniture from other areas of the Library into a Shared Learning Room.
(b) Individuals may bring personal items into a Shared Learning Room and must remove all personal items upon leaving the Shared Learning Room. Personal items must not obstruct aisles and passageways in or outside of the Shared Learning Room. Personal items must not block customers from accessing any Library services or resources.
(c) Individuals may not store any personal items, including equipment, materials or supplies, in a Shared Learning Room.
(d) The Library is not responsible for any lost, stolen or misplaced personal item, whether the item was attended or unattended by the owner. An individual who brings a personal item in the Library assumes the risk of loss, damage or theft of the personal item.
7. Individuals may not affix, tape or fix with an adhesive items to any part of a Shared Learning Room, including a wall, door, window treatment or woodwork. Individuals may not alter, damage, deface or mark on Library property. Trash must be properly disposed of in designated waste or recycle bins.
8. The Library does not provide audio, video or other equipment other than that which is already installed in the Shared Learning Room. Written instructions for use of the equipment within the Shared Learning Room are posted in the room.
9. Internet Use in a Shared Learning Room.
(a) Consistent with Library Use Rules, individuals may not violate any state or federal laws, including, but not limited to, Public Performance Rights (publicly showing a film or video), child pornography or the display of harmful materials to minors. Learning Room may not access sexually explicit sites using any Library resource or electronic device.
(b) Individuals create, store and use personal files at their own risk. The Library is not responsible for the loss of a user’s personal electronic documents, storage devices or files.
(c) Individuals are financially responsible for any damage caused to Library computer devices and peripherals whether physically, by the use of damaged or virus-infected software, or by any other means. Individuals must promptly pay the City for the cost of repair or replacement of equipment resulting from the damage.
(d) Individuals may report technical damages and conditions to the Shared Learning Room Coordinator by email or in person.
10. Food and Beverages in a Shared Learning Room.
(a) Consistent with Library Use Rules, individuals may not consume any food or beverage in a Shared Learning Room.
(b) Food and beverages that have been purchased in the Library must be consumed in designated areas.
(c) If, due to a disability, an individual must consume a special food, the Library will provide a reasonable accommodation for the individual to consume that food in a designated area.
(d) The restrictions above regarding consuming food and beverages in a Shared Learning Room do not apply to:
i. Water consumed from a clear, capped bottle;
ii. Food brought by an adult supervising a child younger than seven (7) years of age, and consumed by the child in a designated area;
iii. Breastfeeding or bottle-feeding an infant.
11. The individual making the reservation, as well as the group as a whole, is responsible for damages that result from the use of the Shared Learning Room.