Commercial Film and Professional Photography
Thank you for your interest in the Austin Public Library as a possible filming/photography location. As a City of Austin entity, the library is subject to various regulations and requirements. Please review the information below prior to submitting a request.
- Reservations for filming and photography are based upon availability as determined by library staff.
- Requests must be submitted at least 14 calendar days prior to the film/photo date.
- Filming and photography must not interfere with the public’s regular use of the facility during open hours.
- Professional photography sessions require a $60.00 fee. Professional photography is defined as receiving compensation for taking pictures (money or barter) or taking images for promotional purposes (such as advertising and marketing with a commercial intent). Portraits and other posed sessions with accessories, props and equipment (such as tripods, lights, reflector shields) are included.
- Under City Ordinance No. 20080306-038, City fees are waived for filming a movie, television program, commercial, music video or video game. Library staff shall determine if a fee waiver applies. The production company will be billed for actual costs for City staff, utilities, and security associated with any required make-ready activities and specific request(s) or needs.
- Per City regulations, insurance is required (see submission requirements for details). Student filmmakers should check with their educational institution to ensure they are covered under the institution's insurance policy.
- The Application and Agreement for Commercial Filming and Photography is the sole form used to authorize filming and photography on the City of Austin Public Library property. No other forms will be accepted and/or used.
Submit an Application
- Review submission requirements.
- Send an email with subject line FILM/PHOTO REQUEST to email@example.com. Include the following information:
- Company or producer name
- Date, time and location for shoot
- Anticipated crew size
- Brief description of project
- The library will contact you regarding your request within 3 working days. If the library can accommodate the project, your dates will be reserved and you will be asked to submit an Application and Agreement along with appropriate supporting documentation.
Once approval has been granted, film/photo crews will receive a badge to be worn onsite during the shoot. Anyone without an approved application or badge may be asked to stop production and return with the proper documentation.
For questions, please contact the Event Services Office at 512-974-7585.